Practical tips for parents to limit the risks of battery ingestion by children:

silhouette32Store all small batteries out of sight and reach of young children.

cross-mark1When opening a pack which includes multiple button/coin cells, make sure that children cannot access the batteries which remain in the open packs.

lock91Make certain that the battery compartment of any household product is securely closed and child-resistant, and/or the product is stored out of the reach of young children.

medical12Avoid storing small batteries in pillboxes or setting them out with medication. Their shape and size make them easily mistaken for medication.

What to do when your child has ingested a button/coin cell:

medical109In the event of battery ingestion, seek immediate medical attention at a hospital emergency room.

drink81Do not let your child eat or drink until an X-ray can determine if a battery is present.

irisIf you still have the battery packaging or the device containing the battery take this with you to help the doctor identify the battery type and chemistry.

telephone5For further advice, you can also contact your national anti-poison centre.