Button/coin cells are batteries specially designed for a wide variety of small appliances such as hearing aids, watches and toys. These batteries have the shape of a button/coin, hence their name, and come in different sizes.

  • Often button/coin cell batteries are not visible to parents or users as they are already integrated into various devices.
  • Button/coin cell batteries can be unintentionally ingested by both children and adults. The risk is greatest when the button/coin cells in these devices are being replaced. In most cases, they pass through the body naturally and do not cause any harm.
  • However, button/coin cell batteries can lodge themselves in the esophagus (food pipe) when swallowed. This can be very dangerous and, at worst, fatal. Extra care should be taken with batteries that are 20 mm and larger in diameter as they are more likely to get lodged in a person’s esophagus.
  • If left untreated, an ingested lithium coin cell, lodged in the esophagus , can generate an electric current from the contact between the battery and tissue fluids in the esophagus. This will cause severe damage and urgent medical attention and immediate battery removal is required.
ADVICE_MEDICAL
These are just some examples of devices which commonly use button/coin cells:

Medical Devices

Medical Devices

Remote Controls

Remote Controls

Greeting Cards with Sound

Greeting Cards with Sound

Watches

Watches

Garage Door Opener

Garage Door Opener

GToysr

Toys